Introducing IBM Q System One: Quantum computing for business
The classical world of computing we all depend on and continue to push to the limits may well now have its days numbered, as we approach an incredible new era in computing power.
Called IBM Q System One, it’s the world’s first fully integrated universal quantum computing system, and it’s radically different to what we’re used to.
Combining quantum science and systems engineering with industrial design, it has the potential to solve problems that are simply beyond the power of today’s computers, enabling us to reach further into areas including pharmaceuticals, financial services and even AI; an area already great in its own right.
IBM Q is an industry-first initiative that not only takes quantum computing outside the research lab but represents a major step forward in its potential for commercialisation. In the video, you’ll learn about the challenge IBM overcame to make it possible, and now the system is optimised for stability, reliability and continuous commercial use. In other words, it’s viable.
What’s more, in the second half of 2019, IBM will be heading to New York to expand the commercial quantum computing programme by opening the IBM Q Quantum Computation Center.
Housing some of the world’s most advanced cloud-based quantum computing systems, the new centre will be accessible to members of the IBM Q Network, a worldwide community of leading Fortune 500 companies, including start-ups, academic institutions and national research labs working with IBM to advance this area of computing.
By exploring its practical applications for business and science a huge amount of change will be coming to the business landscape. And with that in mind, here are five articles with some external perspectives on what such a breakthrough technology might mean for IBM, you, your clients and even the world:
- Tech Crunch – IBM unveils its first commercial quantum computer, Frederic Lardinois
- The Register – If you’ve been dying to run some math on a dinky toy quantum computer, IBM may have something for you, Kieran McCarthy
- Telegraph – IBM unveils world’s first commercial quantum computer, Matthew Field
- ZD Net – CES 2019: Did IBM just reveal first commercial quantum computer?, Larry Dignan
- Mashable – IBM just unveiled a ‘quantum computing system’ for commercial use, Jack Morse